Do you love to learn new and exciting things, especially about food?
Root’s membership was especially designed for curious, food loving folks, from professional chefs to a home cook that’s just beginning their culinary journey.
A membership with Root is not a passive experience: Root members get to learn about food history and fermentation, in ways that provide a direct connection to food through the recipe newsletter, through exclusive classes, and more
Members can join either directly through my site, or through Patreon, giving you the flexibility to join the community in whatever way works best for you.
Most importantly, Root membership is all about human connection.
What we eat, and how we eat it, are interwoven in a rich tapestry of experiences (individual and community) that make up each of our lives.
Each member newsletter gives you the story of a dish, but attempts to weave this story within the experience of those who made (and make) it, rather than just giving you a recipe sans context.
Your membership includes the member newsletter, filled with recipes and stories based around different themes. It also includes a member discount on everything, from online classes to coaching to consulting.
A Root membership has plenty of other magical things to offer you, too. Community members also get special treats, just for them, like fermentation workshops, free access to mini-classes, early access to my coaching calendar, and more (I’ve even been known to mail out free pieces of artwork on occasion!)
Root membership is anything but just another email list or event service.
It’s a place to learn, grow, try new things (and sometimes fail!), and in the process learn about past people, places, and foods that have shaped who we are today.
What you get:
You get a letter in your inbox every first Monday of the month with new historically-inspired recipes, as well as stories connecting those historic foods to our lives in the present day.
You also get:
- Free access to all Root mini classes
- Early access to Root events (like this one with Sandor Katz)
- Discounts on all classes and services
- 10% off every day
- Exclusive member sales and combined discounts on classes, up to 50% off
- Priority access to my calendar for private lessons, consulting, small group classes, etc.
- Occasional other goodies, like early access to cookbook recipes or free artwork.
Here are just a few of the topics we’ve covered already:
Turkish breakfast, the first modern cookbook, Cuban pork dishes, side dishes in Soviet Russia, Medieval festival foods, edible and poisonous nightshades, Greek solstice food, star anise in Chinese cuisine, Indian spice blends, Victorian egg dishes, the history of citrus cultivation, creative food waste reducing techniques from Scotland, and more!
Root members also get to enjoy special collaborations I do with friends in the food world and beyond. In the past we’ve made mead inspired by the legend of Atlantis alongside the Wondersmith, and made foods from Jane Austen novels with the help of former literature professor Sarah Creel.
The variety here is endless, and it’s my hope that these help get your creative juices flowing and help you embark on some exciting new paths while also visiting those dishes and stories that feel like familiar old friends.
A Root membership is way more than just recipes!
Root membership includes all these benefits:
- Monthly emails with recipes and stories about historic foods and ferments
- Free access to Root’s mini classes (like this one on sowans)
- Early access to exciting events (like this event with Sandor Katz and Kirsten Shockey)
- Discounts on all online workshops, including Preserving Abundance
- 10% off all Root’s services, including one-on-one fermentation coaching, research/creative services, consulting, and custom-designed menus
- Free surprises throughout the year, which can include exciting collaborations (like these Atlantis-inspired recipes), original artwork, exclusive member virtual hangouts, and more
Ready to join?
Members pay only $5.00 each month, and get access to all the above benefits.
There are several ways to start your membership:
Finally, you can Join us on Patreon
Become a Root member at the “Button” level or above and you’ll automatically get all the member benefits listed above!
Root offers several other pledge levels on Patreon as well, built to offer a space to engage with food history, fermentation, and community at a range of prices.
Have a question? Get in touch and let’s chat!
By subscribing, you agree to Root’s terms of service